Monday, May 2, 2011

Trying Something New~

Hello friends! I thought I would share with you something new that I've tried. You might have heard of Christy Tomlinson? She has a class on-line called "She Art". It was a lot of fun! And this was my first canvas that I've done- taking her class. You will either like it or you won't. :) I'm a little nervous about showing you.

I named the girl in this painting, Penelope, which means-"dreamer weaver" in Greek. Which I thought was appropriate because of the words I used. I showed my husband and guess what he said? It looks more like a nightmare than a dream. Awww, so encouraging. Thanks, honey! ;)


This is a 7X14 framed canvas and the background is sewing pattern tissue paper. That was fun to use! I really enjoyed this class. Christy is a lot of fun and she is so real. Mistakes and all.



Her boots are made out of heavy upholstery material. I liked the texture of it.


I think this picture would be cute in a little girl's room. I don't have a little girl but...I'm just sayin'.


Well, what do you think? It's definitely different than what I usually do, huh? I just wanted to try something new for me. And I liked it.


What are you planning for Mother's Day? Whatever it is, I hope you have a great time.


Have a blessed week, my friends.

Hugs,

Sonya

14 comments:

Karen B. said...

Sweet Sonya,

she is beautiful!! Well done!!
hugs
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Robin said...

You are so talented Sonya, this is beautiful!!

Hugs,
Robin

Candy C said...

Hi Sonya! I LOVE this!!! Wow...just wonderful! This is your FIRST attempt?? I love the colors and the wonderful art! <3 Candy

mzzterry said...

love.love this. ;)

Tess said...

I love Penelope, she is soo cute. What do "art critics" know anyway (Your hubby, LOL). Definitely mixed media and sometimes the mixing it up is the fun part. Since you don't have a little girl you should keep and hang her in your home. Dream up things for you and Penelope to do. (Grin)

scrapwordsmom said...

Well, I LOVE Miss Penelope and I love that you named her like I did mine! I will name all my girls;)

I know what you mean about scared to show people...I am , too. But we did and we are just fine!! I really do love making them.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I will be back here...love it!!!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

it's great that you've tried something new and the results are amazing! lovely colors and textures, and what a nice name and theme. so fitting for your first canvas using this colorful style. your hubby is funny, of course he didn't mean it!
and congratulations on your giveaway win at ArtJoyStuff! i was pleased that i knew the winner!

sweet violets said...

Love this!!! Great colors and texture.....good for you!!! hugs...cleo

Zoechaos said...

Well I'm a lover the colours and texture and dreams flowing across her face!

Husbands! they make one good decision in their lives, get married and then have opinions about everything LOL XOXO Zoe

Kasia said...

Wow!Its absolutely adorable! A first time? really? Great! I love this! And Im sure hubby is just pulling your leg, when you ask he say things to joke around! LOL Im sure hes proud of your work!

Hugs,

Miss Sandy said...

Hi dear friend!!! I adore it! I love all the bright happy colors and texture, the depth is wonderful too. Tell hubby to get his eyes checked, it is awesome!

Vicki said...

I love Christy's work. It is so fun! I'm super impressed that you stepped out of your comfort zone and made this great project. I love it. I was thinking of taking her 3 Hearts class. It would force me to work with color a bit more. lol I love what you did here.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Sonya,
love your new piece - just beautiful!
Always fun to learn and try something new.
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Marie

T's Daily Treasures said...

Men! What do they know? I think your canvas is fantastic. Especially since it is something new for you. And it always good to try something new. Keeps the brain ticking away! :) Have a good one. Tammy