Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"Blessed Are The Poor"

Hello dear friends. I made this collage a little differently than what I usually do. Usually, I try to make a fabric collage that would be pleasing to the eye. Pretty for people to look at. But this one isn't very pretty. It isn't meant to be. When I saw this old photo, I knew I had to do something with it. If you double click on the photos you can get a better view. Do you see what they are wearing? Do you see that they are without shoes? (I don't remember where I got this photo.)
This photo breaks my heart. I wonder...where are these people today? Are they still alive? Are they hungry? Did anyone help them?



This is the back of the collage. Just an old book cover. But I thought it was appropriate.

This verse is part of the "Beatitudes", in the bible, from the Latin word meaning"blessing."


Here are eight common excuses for not helping the poor and needy:

1. They don't deserve help. They got themselves into poverty; let them get themselves out.

2. God's call to help the poor applies to another time.

3. We don't know any people like this.

4. I have my own needs.

5. Any money I give will be wasted, stolen, or spent. The poor will never see it.

6. I may become a victim myself.

7. I don't know where to start, and I don't have time.

8. My little bit won't make any difference.

How many of us could say that we have used one of these excuses? I must say that I am guilty of this. And ashamed...

There are quite a few scriptures in the bible instructing how we should treat the poor. God's instructions. The number of poor in this world is growing, my friends.



Instead of us making lame excuses, we need to ask what can be done to help? Does your church have programs to help the needy? Could you volunteer to work with a community group that fights poverty? As one individual, you may not be able to accomplish much, but join up with similarly motivated people and watch mountains begin to move!


Have a wonderful rest of the week dear friends.


God bless,


Sonya

13 comments:

Fabric Art said...

I think your collage will give people something to think about and that makes it wonderful, love your work Sonya.
Anni

Zoechaos said...

WOW very special indeed. The inspiration and sentiment behind your work is deeply moving. I love that it is what it is and not pretty cleaned up romantic vintage piece. Blown away by this its rawness and honesty. Like you can only hope that the poor people in the picture came upon better times very soon after it was taken. XOXO Zoe

Kelly_Deal said...

Thoughtful and special collage. Thanks for sharing.
Kelly

Barbara Jean said...

Sonya,
What a wonderful, and thought provoking post.
Your piece is beautifully done, and does convey the message well.

Blessings on your day

barbara jean

Kasia said...

What a stunning collage! And so touching and inspiring! "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering."- John Paul II.
This is really something to think about, Thank you!

Hugs,

Dorthe said...

Dear Sonya,
oh your collage is fantastic -in both sentiments and artistic doing-
A very beautiful statement,of a terribly difficult time.--And I know there are still people living in powerty all over the world-your message is so true, and so clear.
Hugs,Dorthe

The Cranky Queen said...

Well said, my blog friend, well said. The piece you made is humbling but at the same time encouraging....God put us on the Earth to minister to the lost...love thy neighbor...good words to ponder on before bedtime...blessings, Tiff
OH, stop by my blog and enter the Mother's Day
Giveaway. Tiff and pray for those in AL that were effected by the devastating storms.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Dear Sonya,
what a very special and beautiful collage!!
Your post is very touching and so true.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Marie

A Vintage Chic said...

Good morning, Sonya! Thanks for your visit this morning--just saw your lovely comment & had to come over and visit--wish I had before! Your work is just beautiful...

I love this collage. What a beautiful way to express your love for all of God's children, no matter their condition in life. Your post was lovely...thank-you for sharing it.

I'll be following along with you here...looking forward to your next post!

Hope your day is wonderful, my friend!

Julie

Cindy Adkins said...

This is so poignant, Sonya! And so beautiful...such an important reminder, especially with all that's happened lately with the storms in the south and the earthquake in Japan....truly beautiful piece--and so much meaning, my friend. I love it.

Love,
Cindy

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

My friend Tiffany, aka The Cranky Queen, sent me the link to this post. I love the collage! I just want to put my arms around the people. It reminds me of The Grapes Of Wrath. It also reminds me of some of my mother's pictures from her childhood except Momma's family was much better dressed - and that's not saying a whole lot.

And yes, I think I've used three of those excuses. Most of us want to help, but don't know what to do or don't have time. At the moment we're all thinking of the people who lost their homes, family members and lively hoods in Wednesday's tornadoes and wanting so desperately to help, but tend to forget the people who need assistance on a day to day basis. May we always remember.

Now I'm off to cruise the rest of your blog.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Well, shoot. I just looked up and realized where I am. You're in my reader already and have been a long time! I'm so behind on blog reading. Sheesh! As soon as I clicked on the header I recognized the blog and did a head slap. Yep. I do love your blog and your work.

Lynn Stevens said...

So moving, so much to think about, sometimes life isn't pretty is it. I hope everyone who see's it thinks a moment about how lucky we are and open their hearts to others. Your inspiring my dear.
hugs Lynn