Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Beautiful Maui Flowers and Foliage

This plumeria flower smells divine! The bush kind of reminds me of our native rhododendron. But thicker leaves. And the rhododendron flowers don't smell.
This picture was accidently added. It another view off the lanai. It was almost midnight and I thought...I'm not changing it. My computer is still be a slow poke. I think it's because I have so many pictures saved to my computer. :)




Bird of Paradise. Beautiful and so unusual looking. Looks kind of like some of the birds I was feeding here. :)

This is a hibiscus. A double bloom one. Don't you love the varigated colors? The colors of a sunset.

Another hibiscus. The brightness is exquisite.


A yellow hibiscus. The hibiscus grows here in Oregon in the summer. Only summer. And then it looses all it's leaves in the winter.


I love the vividness of the stamen. It looks almost 3-D in the photo.



Can you tell I really like them?

We don't have a fern like this in Oregon. Do you?

I'm not sure what you call this type of tree. But it was lovely.

A close-up view of the flowers on the tree. Love the color.


These are like my houseplants that I HAVE to grow indoors! They are growing like crazy outside in Maui! Do you have these houseplants? There are three different kinds in this picture.


I know. This isn't a flower or foliage but I had to show you this. I was so engrossed in taking pictures of the flowers I wasn't watching where I was stepping! I heard a crunch! Under my feet. YUCK! A man up the hill was standing on his lanai watching me. And asked me what that noise was. :) I looked down and I had crushed a snail! EEWWW! This one was sitting right next to the smashed one so I thought I would show you a picture of how big he was. He is probably about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long! I didn't think you would appreciate a photo of the squished one so I took one of the live one. I didn't mean to step on him. Honest. I'm really glad I wasn't barefoot!
I plan on showing you photos of our whale excursion and after that the Luau. I wish I could have showed you the production of the Ulalena. That was fabulous! But they wouldn't let anyone take pictures. But if you ever plan on going to La Haina, Maui, you have to see this at the Maui Theatre! The music and the dancing is fantastic! Very moving story of Hawaii's history and their myths and beliefs and some parts are funny. The show is about an hour and a half long. You will LOVE it! They have 9 different scenes and you won't be disappointed!
Thank you for visiting and for your comments. I love sharing this special trip with you. Even the pictures don't even do this paradise justice.
Have a great Wednesday friends! Please come back!














7 comments:

T's Daily Treasures said...

Hi Sonya, so glad to see that you had a fabulous trip. Deacon is such a cutie! And the photos of all those sweet birds are just wonderful. You stayed in such a lovely place. We took a family vacation to Hawaii when I was 14. That was 31 years ago. :) It was beautiful then. I'm sure much more built up by now. Poor little snail! When were in India, my husband took a walk in the rain and came back with two slugs. I let them go in the grass out our balcony door but took pictures of them first. Thankfully I didn't step on one. Hope you are having a great week. Best wishes, Tammy

Miss Sandy said...

What a lovely break in my day to come here in bone chilling cold and see blooming bits of summer. Sorry about your snails friend being squished and all - wow those are really big! I love the double hibiscus, the colors are like a stunning sunset! Looking forward to more.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Sonya,
thanks for sharing your beautiful flowers. Just what I needed!Have a lovely evening.
Hugs,
Marie

Lynn Stevens said...

Oh Sonya, Maui is such a paradise, I've been there twice but its been 30 years since my last visit. I still remember the plumeria's sweet smell. Can you imagine all those flowers growing in the middle of winter, heavenly! never seen those snails though, good thing, yuck! and yes glad you werent barefoot! LOL
hugs Lynn

Karen B. said...

Hi dear Sonya, Thank you for your kind words to welcome me and my new blog. I really like your blog and I have just become a follower to it.
Hugs
Karen B. - Todolwen

Barbara Jean said...

Such beautiful and brilliant colors!!!

BLESSINGS

BARBARA JEAN

Lululiz said...

GORGEOUS photographs! All those beautiful flowers, wow, I could completely lose myself there, smelling, touching, photographing....