Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pearls, Glitter and Snowmen

You know when you have something in your head and you think, yes, that's what I'm going to do. Then reality ends up being something totally different? Well, that's what is happening to my Christmas decorating ideas. So, disregard my earlier post of what I'm gonna do. Because it ain't happening! It's okay. I guess. But the colors aren't even what I wanted! Isn't that weird? I'm more vintagey, and lace and old fashioned. And this is NOT that!

No, he is not sagey green, is he?


He is cute, isn't he? With his little angel wings.



That's my tree top! Wow! My grandson will get a kick out of it.




The Christmas balls on this swag match the tree colors. (At least they match).


Dressing up Bird Houses:


I bought some birdhouses to go on my bird themed tree and they were kind of blah. So...I painted them with some Snow-tex! I love that stuff. I'm not showing you my "bird" tree yet. I'm not happy with it yet. I'm hoping my kitties won't bother my tree. They love the bird's nest that have the real bird eggs in them.



Hanging Cards:

I made these hanging cards for my sister's store too. This was the only one left. I used nothing but vintage cards or photos. I copied them of course. I can't see using the originals if I don't have to. Once you've used them, thats it, right? And some day there won't be any left so we need to think about these things. They definitely don't make cards and photos like this now, so we need to make them last as long as we can. These looked adorable hanging on the trees too.


This is the back of the card.



Can you see the glitter? I love glitter...
Acorn Ornaments:

Here's an inexpensive ornament to make. You have to take the acorns apart. They have fake ones at the craft store. The top is a real acorn top but the bottom is some kind of foam.



Drill a hole in the cap of the acorn, so you can later put a wire inside to hang the ornament. You cover the cap with glue. Elmers is fine with a little water added to thin it. Then just cover with glitter. Any color your heart desires! These brown ones are going to hang on some branches in a pitcher on the diningroom table. My dishes are brown transferware, so I thought this color would look really nice. Well, this is my intention anyway. I shouldn't say that for sure. Right? But that's what I want to do. :)


After I covered the bottoms with glue and glitter, I stuck each one with a piece of wire. Then placed them in foam until the glue dries. Then you just glue the tops on after you add the wire to the cap of the acorn.


When the tree is covered with these, it is so pretty especially at night when the tree is lit.


This one I did a little differently. I sprayed silver paint on the bottom and just glitter the cap with white crystal fine glitter. These look beautiful on a white feather tree. But you have to make sure you don't touch the bottom piece of the acorn once it's painted or...fingerprints!


I like this color combo too. Like I said, what ever color you want!



Glass Pearls with Vintage Buttons:

I made these last year for my sister's store. All sold but these. Made with old pearl buttons and glass pearls. I love that the pearls are made of glass, it makes them heavier. They look prettier in real life. Then I just hung charms or whatever on the ends. I made other colors too.






All the decorations on the tree are from my sister's store except the tree topper. So that makes them even prettier! I love snowmen so even though it didn't turn out as planned, I'm happy with it.
How are your decorating plans turning out? Is it the way you expected?
Have a wonderful week and thank you for all of your sweet comments.





















6 comments:

Barbara Jean said...

Hey sweetie!! I love your little snowman! He is too too cute! And you are right, your grandson will love the tree top!
Great ideas too.

blessings and have a super week. Mine is super B U S Y!!

hugs
barb

Nancy Maxwell James said...

you sure have put me in the Christmas spirit with your post this morning! so many lovely treasures to see...I adore those sweet acorns - how clever and they are gorgeous on the tree! :) Hope you have a wonderful week!

Alisa said...

Well, it may not be what you had in mind, but I think everything is simply wonderful!

Vicki said...

WOW! You have done an amazing job. My favorites are the snowmen and tree topper. Wait, I also really like the hanging cards and those cute acorns...I like it all!

Rebecca said...

How DARLING IS THIS!

CUTE! CUTE! My talented friend. Truly an awesome job of transforming something common into something FABULOUS! LOVE THEM!

xoRebecca

Tarnished and Tattered said...

Sonja,
I love it all! So much more lovely to have beautiful things you make adorning a tree. Love the topper too. Lisa